Monday, July 20, 2009

Kid Lunch, Grown Up



I did something you're really not supposed to do today: I went to the grocery store on an empty stomach. I did resist the fried chicken and hoagies, though, settling on sushi.

That was at the front of the store. By the time I got to the back of the store, I had my doubts that the sushi, whole wheat crisps and fruit that I had selected was really what I wanted.

And then I laid my eyes on Kraft's Lunchables in the dairy section. I fondly remembered Lunchables from my childhood--the little package of neatly organized circles of meats and crackers, and stack of square cheese slices. Though tasty, the little meal packed a lot of fat and sodium.

Fast-forward nearly 25 years later, and Lunchables now makes a low-fat version that has earned the "Sensible Solutions" logo. And it's not just cheese and crackers, either, it's a complete meal!

The meal I had, at 360 calories, 8 grams of fat and 4 grams of fiber, was a mini turkey sub (complete with a packet of fat-free mayo and reduced-fat cheese), an 8-oz. water with sweetened Kool-Aid fruit punch powder to shake in, a 4 oz. cup of applesauce, and a small bag of Nila Wafers. I felt like I hit the jackpot!

The other Sensible Solutions variety is the Deep Dish Cheese Pizza box. Like the turkey sandwich combo, it comes with applesauce, water and Kool-Aid, and Nila Wafers.

No comments:

Post a Comment