Sunday, July 12, 2009

An Egg-static Fan!

Before joining Weight Watchers, I was a major fan of IHOP's massive omelets. Ham and cheddar, steak, it didn't matter. As long as there were pancakes on the side (and butter pecan syrup on the table), it was all good.

These days, I have not banished omelets from my eating repertoire. In fact, I eat at least one a week. I've just learned to lighten up.

For starters, I now go with the carton of egg whites or yellow Egg Beaters rather than whole eggs. Instead of butter, I use a nonstick pan and cooking spray. And I use reduced fat cheddar or part-skim mozzarella over the higher-fat stuff. Aside from those ground rules, the sky's the limit!

Favorite omelets of mine lately have been center-cut bacon, spinach (fresh baby spinach leaves, frozen, or sauteed fresh) and cheddar; and Mexican-spiced ground turkey or lean ground beef and cheese, topped with salsa and/or fat-free sour cream.

You could make a more hearty meal (and add more fiber) by rolling up the omelet in a flatbread wrap.

As far as technique, I learned from the best! I saw Julia Child plying her craft several years ago, in an old episode of her show, "The French Chef," on public television.



To put it in non-chef terms:
  1. Heat your nonstick pan on high. It's ready when a drop of water evaporates in the pan just about instantaneously.
  2. Coat the pan well with cooking spray.
  3. Pour in the egg, moving the pan to evenly coat the bottom.
  4. Add your other ingredients. I suggest starting with anything that needs the heat most, like cheese or raw veggies.
  5. Monitor the egg mixture.
  6. As the egg mixture gets closer to being solid, shake the pan in a circular motion to loosen the omelet.
  7. When loose, use a jerking/dragging motion, with the pan still on the burner, to flip the omelet closed.
  8. If needed, cheat! Flip the omelet onto a plate to shape or use a spatula on the omelet in the pan to shape it.
  9. If needed to cook the egg further, flip the omelet over after a few minutes. Flip onto a plate and then back into the pan, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment